What to Do if You're a Victim of ID Theft

According to the Federal Trade Commission, you should:

  •  Contact the fraud department of each of the three major credit bureaus and report it. Ask that a fraud alert be placed on your file and that no new credit be granted without your approval. (Equifax: 1-800-525-6285, Experian: 1-888-397-3742, Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289).

  •  Contact the security department of the appropriate creditor or financial institution; close the accounts that have been fraudulently accessed or opened. Put passwords (not your mother's maiden name or SSN) on any new accounts you open.

  •  File a report with local police or the police where the ID theft took place. Get the report number or a copy of the report in case the bank, credit card company or others needs proof of the crime later.

  •  Report the theft to the ID Theft Clearinghouse at 1-877-438-4338. A theft affidavit is available online: Consumer.Gov

  •  Federal Citizen Information Center - IDENTITY THEFT: Reduce Your Risk

  •  Get your FREE Credit Report(s)

  •  When am I legally required to provide my Social Security number?

  •  Latest information regarding the 25.6 million stolen Veteran records - FirstGov.gov

  • Back